Date:      Mon, 09 Nov 1998 23:40:08 -0600
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@airnet.net>
To:        Steve Friedrich <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Plea to core team

Steve Friedrich wrote:

> I wonder if anyone subscribed to -questions besides me thinks that the
> 3.0R shouldn't have been made generally available.  It is allowing
> total morons to destroy FreeBSD's reputation due to their incompetence.
>  3.0R SHOULD be only installed by people with a freakin clue.  Not
> total newbies.  It has resulted in a tremendous amount of noise on this
> forum, because these newbies think they should be running the latest
> and greatest.  They aren't reading the release notes or anything else.
> Please don't let them continue.  Make 3.0R available only to those
> willing to certify:

The ones who are "causing a stink" are the ones too clueless to read the
3.0-RELEASE notes, which Jordan so gratutiously spammed to a list (or
two?).

> 1. They are NOT using it in a production environment
> 2. They have extensive FreeBSD experience
> 3. They have extensive Unix System Admin experience
> 4. They realize 3.X is not yet supported

I can't say I apply for numbers two and three, I just feel bad that
everyone hates 3.0-RELEASE. I feel like I'm the only one who got it
right although it took two days of non-continuous downloading (this is a
nifty feature of the FreeBSD install, just leave it for a day waiting
for user input). Something is to be said about sysinstall's unique
interpretation of the download speed. I was getting ~200KB from
sysinstall when I know damn well I'm using a 26400 modem connection, not
multiple T1's. Now to get that CVS tree here...

--
Kris Kirby
UAH Mail <kirbyk@email.uah.edu> UAH CS <kkirby@cs.uah.edu>