Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 18:07:36 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Darin Slovitt <darin@slovitt.net>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Limits Problems ...

At 4:10 PM -0400 10/15/98, Darin Slovitt wrote:
>On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Mike Smith wrote:
>
>> This is a known bug in 3.0, most commonly affecting laptop users.
>> We haven't been able to track down the exact cause of it.
>
> It's quite interesting that something like this isn't considered a
> little more important.

This problem is not hitting me, but even as a casual observer on this
mailing list it seems clear that several people consider this problem
very important.  The fact that it is not fixed only means that no one
has been able to pin down the problem, it does not mean that people
think the problem is unimportant.  People have been quite interested
in any information which would help pin down the problem, and have
been actively working on collecting more information.  Note that
Mike said "we haven't been ABLE to track down the exact cause", he
did *not* say "we haven't felt it was important".

Still, the parts of 3.0 which are working are also very important,
and I can understand the need to cut an official 3.0 release even
though this particular issue has not been resolved.

> Update: the problem seems to be gone ... all I did was recompile
> the KERNEL using GENERIC and change absolutly nothing. Seems a
> little disconserning that customizing the KERNEL actually
> introduces nasty side effects, much like this one.

Okay, so we now know that "something" in your custom configuration
seems to tickle the problem.  How about doing a simple diff
between the generic kernel and your customized kernel and telling
people differences you have?  That might suggest some possible
testing that you or someone else could do to narrow the problem
down further.  A simple step like this could be a very useful
contribution.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute