Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 1998 16:29:28 EST
From:      "SPAM..." <jlueck@mit.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   natd and cable modems

Hi.

I'm currently trying to set up a local area LAN which uses a single
computer connected to a cable modem to do IP masquerading.  I've read
the natd man page and think that I have everything set up correctly.
Yet, nothing on the local network is getting or receiving packets.  My
local network consists of the freeBSD machine, and 3 WinNT machines
connected through the LAN.

Here's one specific question...should the freeBSD machine be able to
'ping' the other machines on the local network?  Right now, I'm not able
to.  Each local machine has a 10.x.x.x IP address, and their names are
matched to their IPs in /etc/hosts.  Any idea what could be wrong?

Would someone who has gone through a set up like this before be willing
to help me out?

Thanks in advance.

-Jeremy Lueck