Date:      Wed, 13 Apr 2005 01:01:23 +0100
From:      markzero <mark@darklogik.org>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lowest common denominator for buildworld/kernel

--LZvS9be/3tNcYl/X

> > ssh was the first thing that sprang to mind but it also raised some
> > further questions, like what exactly to copy. /usr/obj would
> > obviously have to go over but what about all the makefiles required
> > for a 'make installworld' etc? I wondered if I would end up just
> > copying over /usr/src entirely, which seems very innefficient.
> >
> > Hmm, it's certainly something to think about.
> >
>=20
> What I have done to cover that situation is place /usr/obj and /usr/src=
=20
> in their own 1.5GB partitions. Then, when you nfs_mount them on the=20
> other system, they have the same path as when you did the build.=20
>=20
> You don't need 3GB to cover the build but HDs are cheap and rebuilding a=
=20
> slice is not. I have the kernel config file for each of the other=20
> systems on the build machine. When you do a buildkernel, you can have=20
> the build machine build the kernel for all of them at one time.

Veering slightly off topic now but how reliable/secure is NFS these
days? I stopped using it years ago as I got tired of the problems I used
to have with it (probably my own fault). Is there a decent, lightweight
distributed filesystem that's stable on FreeBSD? My main criteria are:

  1. Lightweight - small and simple is best.
  2. Cryptographically secure - we are very strict about cleartext
     protocols over the network here.

I have seen Coda in ports but it labels itself as 'experimental' and I'm
not really up for debugging my filesystem...

Mark

--=20
PGP: http://www.darklogik.org/pub/pgp/pgp.txt
B776 43DC 8A5D EAF9 2126 9A67 A7DA 390F DEFF 9DD1

--LZvS9be/3tNcYl/X

--LZvS9be/3tNcYl/X--