Date:      Fri, 3 Jul 1998 17:45:50 +0900 (KST)
From:      swjeong <swjeong@net.kitel.co.kr>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q] double-ending SCSI RESET problem

# Environment

   - I am using CAM ('3.0-980520-SNAP + CAM-980520') as follows.

    AHA3940UW                                           AHA3940UW
    SCSC-adapter        HDD    HDD    HDD  .... HDD     SCSI-adapter
        |                |      |      |         |          |
 +------+----------------+------+------+---------+----------+--------+
 Term.                                                               Term.

  (3940's Termination is disabled and scsi bus is connected on internal
   channel B, channel A is used for boot disk)

# Problem discussed up to now.

    After machine A boot, I booted machine B.
    In the middle of kernel-autoconfiguration-stage,
    many many 'Someone reset channel A' messages occurs on machine A and B.
    Tt lasts from few seconds to forever.
    Then B panics, if with luck, B remains alive.

    And made kernel configuration file correct
    as "Justin T. Gibbs" said.

    > controller ahc0
    > controller ahc1
    > controller scbus0 at ahc0
    > controller scbus1 at ahc1

    But, the problem persisted.

# Question.

    I applied following two awkward patch to escape above problem.

    aic7xxx.c patch makes ahc not to issue RESET again,
    when it detected RESET on the bus.

    scsi_all.c patch makes opearation not to stopped by
    UNIT ATTENTION.

    After this patch, 'Someone reset channel A' doen't
    occurs continuously. and disk operation is not halted by
    peer's rebooting.

    Does this patch make sense ?

   $ diff aic7xxx.c.orig aic7xxx.c
   4140c4140
   <               ahc_reset_current_bus(ahc);
   ---
   > /*            ahc_reset_current_bus(ahc); */
   4152c4152
   <               ahc_reset_current_bus(ahc);
   ---
   > /*            ahc_reset_current_bus(ahc); */

   $ diff scsi_all.c.orig scsi_all.c
   2134a2135,2139