Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 17:01:49 -0400
From:      "C. A. Daelhousen" <cd9@buffalo.edu>
To:        Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mtools vs mount

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 03:46:17PM +0200, Siegbert Baude wrote:
> Hi,
>

> >>2. Why doesn't `mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy` support long filenames so
> >>I can just work directly with the diskette? (e.g. I want to tar and gzip all
> >>the files on my floppy but first must mcopy them all to a temporary
> >>directory *then* tar and gzip the local copies unless you have a better way)
>

> > in /etc/fstab:
> > /dev/fd0    /floppy   msdos   rw,noauto,longnames   0  0
>
> man mount_msdos snippet:

[snip]

Yes, everyone running FreeBSD has that manpage--without its formatting
destroyed by cut'n'paste.

> And this works:

Obviously it didn't work for the original poster, or they wouldn't have
posted the question.

Note that on a *blank* floppy, no long names are found, so short names
are assumed. So if the archive is put on a blank floppy mounted
short-name in the first place, then no amount of "mount -l"ing later
will recreate the long names.

I don't have any bare DOS machines, so I don't ever use short names;
therefore, the longnames option in /etc/fstab is more convenient and
useful. (And it's not in with the -l/-s options in the manpage.)

If you didn't have anything useful to say to me, don't reply to me. Go
back up the thread for that.

--
..: Chad Daelhousen == cd9@buffalo.edu :.........: sig v3.1 :...
: Programming for 10 +/- 2 years (50 +/- 10% of a lifetime)    :