Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 16:48:49 -0400
From:      "Deepak Jain" <deepak@ai.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Strange Issue

This happened on one machine, and this weekend on another. These are 4.1 and
4.2 machines. We have a standard kernel for them that we install on
identical hardware (typically 100-300 server batches).

Everything is identical by design.

Spontaneously, one of these servers decides after the boot prompt and our
default kernel it can't mount /dev/da0s1a.

You boot to the GENERIC kernel, no problem.

You install the previously working again (clean) doesn't work.

You build a new kernel with a few mods on the problematic box, and it works.

Our custom kernel is built off the GENERIC kernel. More things are commented
out than added in.

I'd love to think some module that is crucial is getting corrupted, but we
don't add anything disk related.

I know this is more vague than ideal, and since we haven't been able to
spontaneously reproduce it, my ability to provide information is limited.

Does this sound familiar to anyone??

Thanks in advance,

Deepak Jain
AiNET