Date:      Sun, 07 Sep 1997 22:38:05 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        brian@awfulhak.org (Brian Somers), grog@lemis.com, doconnor@Ist.flinders.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Divert sockets..

> > > Or maybe he's like me, and he can't get the thing to idle disconnect
> > > because of the !@#$! keep-alives that are near-impossible to turn
> > > off if you have a local net as well.
> >
> > Hmm.  I have a local net of 8 machines, and I don't have any such
> > problems.  Of course you know about "set afilter".
>
> Sure.  I just don't know what packets are triggering it.  There's
> almost nothing running at all (literally; no routed, named, whatever).

If you "set log +tcp/ip", you get to see the IP packets logged.

> And there's the annoying localhost DNS lookup, even though host.conf
> has "hosts" first, and the name of the machine I'm rlogin'ing into
> is in /etc/hosts (it's myself).  It triggers the PPP dial anyway,
> and I think that should only happen for non-local hosts.

This is probably a "dot" thing.  If your domain's "x.y", you should
have

127.0.0.1 localhost.x.y. localhost.
127.0.0.1 localhost.x.y localhost

> > The thing I don't understand is how re-writing anything is going to
> > solve a problem where people want the link to shutdown subliminally :-)
>
> Change the ground rules on the shutdown, for one... different issues
> for SLIP/ISDN, for another.

What sort of ground rules are you talking about ?  I've always
thought it would be nice to have different timeouts based on
different aspects of the packet.  For instance, you may want port 80
packets to timeout the connection after 900 seconds, but port 25 to
time out after 60 seconds.  You may also want all packets from
machine 'x' to timeout after 600 seconds.

[.....]

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org>;