Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 1997 18:30:56 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu, jin@george.lbl.gov, mark@quickweb.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, robsch@robkaos.ruhr.de
Subject:   Re: Memory speed of P6-200 (256k)

>Do not waste time to play this game. The "dd" is O.S. dependent code.

No, dd is very machine-independent.  It just loops calling read() and
write() with the specified block size.  However, the implementation
of /dev/zero is very machine-dependent.  FreeBSD happens to have an
implementation that copies memory in a straightforward way, so the speed
reported by dd is closely related to the memory write bandwidth.  The
read bandwidth doesn't matter much because most reads are from the
cache.

>It does not give you what is real memory speed on your system. The result
>from dd is really depended on the O.S. you are running. If you run 2.2 or
>higher, you will get much better performance than 2.1.x.

There isn't much difference unless you have a P5 and the P5-optimized
copyout routine is not disabled.

>440FX does have worse memory speed than Triton-{I,II}; even though P6 has
>much better CPU speed, but the PCI controller (440FX) is worse.

That would explain why a P6 is more than twice as slow as a P5 for large
writes.  It is inherently about twice as slow because P6's read cache
lines before writing to them.  Read-before-write is useful if the memory
is read after writing to it, but the dd benchmark never does that.

Bruce