Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 15:01:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Aleph One <aleph1@dfw.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Michael Richards <026809r@dragon.acadiau.ca>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cat exploit

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> The problem is that Jay's message didn't actually have a point. :)
>
> Rather, it described a symtom common to most VT100 compliant terminal
> emulators and something very clearly under the "well don't DO that then"
> category.  It's nothing new at all and if you're not sure of the
> contents of a file, don't just blindly cat it to your screen.  The
> same goes for any binary I might hand you - if I put up a file on
> an FTP site called ``megaspacewar.exe'' and you go and run it on your
> Windows box and it trojans you to death (or worse), who's fault is
> that? :-)  Same basic issue.

Whoa! If you dont know the contents of a file dont read it. If you dont
read a file you dont know its contents. Thats some really useful
suggestion.

How about something more practical? Like being able to turn off this
"feature".

> - Jordan

Aleph One / aleph1@dfw.net
http://underground.org/
KeyID 1024/948FD6B5
Fingerprint EE C9 E8 AA CB AF 09 61  8C 39 EA 47 A8 6A B8 01