Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2001 20:04:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "David A. Koran" <dak@solo.net>
To:        <bandix@looksharp.net>
Cc:        <benf@nexgen.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cluster Solution for FreeBSD

We use a Arrowpoint CS800 here, and at $275k a pop, it's not exactly
economical. You can probably get an F5 or Cisco Local Director to do it, but
then again, we're probably trying to get the best bang for the least buck.

Most of the load balancers don't work with out the load information being
spewed to them, and that usually required some SNMP implementation, and that
opens up a whole can of security concerns. The CS800 will only, if I
remember the docs correctly, balance on load and resources of the pool of
machines if that information is sent explictly to the balancing application.

David