Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 11:59:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke" <marcus@miami.edu>
To:        Neil Smith <ngs@elok.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Invalid format" on boot after upgrade from 2.2CAM to 3.3

This is because the 2.2 kernel was in a.out format, and the 3.3 kernel is
in ELF format.  You need to reinstall the boot manager.  You can either
write one to the disk from sysinstall, or...never mind, you really only
have that option if you can't boot.  Just boot up off floppies or CD, and
choose Configure.  Then select Fdisk.  Hit 'W' on the disk you want, and
select to reinstall the boot manager (or do a standard).  That should work
for you.

Joe Clarke