Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:17:58 +0200
From:      "Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN]" <Danovitsch@Vitsch.net>
To:        Henrik W Lund <henrik.w.lund@broadpark.no>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: USB and routing...

On Tuesday 21 October 2003 17:26, Henrik W Lund wrote:
> ...but not necessarily in relation to one another. ;-)
>
> This is my second go at FreeBSD, and it's my umpteenth one with UNIXes =
in
> general. Having done my share of Linux (with one recent battle being
> setting up a web/mail/NFS/NIS/Samba server for a school project. *puh* =
> thought I knew what frustration was, but boy was I wrong!), I've moved =
onto
> FreeBSD because - well, I think it's easier to set up, and you don't ha=
ve
> to relate to several different versions of the same OS. Now, onto my
> questions:
>
> 1. I have installed onto a laptop computer, with a USB mouse and a
> touchpad. Now, up until very recently, the USB mouse worked fine when I
> inserted it and took it out while the system was on, and the console ou=
tput
> showed usbd doing its thing. However, the other day this stopped workin=
g,
> and I now have to have the USB mouse inserted at startup for it to func=
tion
> at all. This is, of course, no biggie, but it kinda defeats the purpose=
 of
> the whole USB thing, doesn't it? The touchpad, however, works perfectly=
,
> always.
I think you don't have "usbd" running.
Check if you have usbd_enable=3D"YES" in /etc/rc.conf

> 2. I have one built-in NIC and a Wireless NIC, both of which work
> perfectly, the way they're supposed to. Now, my beef is that the Wirele=
ss
> NIC is used for home, and gets IP via DHCP from my router. The built-in=
 NIC
> is used for school, must have IP assigned manually (from rc.conf), and =
has
> a totally different IP range that my network at home. This, of course,
> leads to mayhem when the default route is to be established. If I enter=
 the
> gateway at school statically, my laptop gets online at school, but not =
at
> home. If I don't, my laptop gets online at home, but I have to manually
> "route add default etc" everytime I want to go online at school. Is the=
re a
> tidy way to do this automatically? One default route per NIC, for insta=
nce?
You could create a script that checks every X-seconds if the network card=
 is=20
connected. If the status goes to "active", add your schools gateway. If t=
he=20
status goes to "no carrier", change to your wireless gateway.
(you can get the status from ifconfig)

grtz,
Daan=09