Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 07:04:23 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/share/examples/cvsup -> /usr/local/share/examples/cvsup

On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 07:25:17AM -0700, Peter Wemm wrote:
> Nik Clayton wrote:
> > Would anyone object to pulling /usr/share/examples/cvsup out of the base
> > system, and into /usr/local/share/examples/cvsup, to be installed by the
> > CVSup port?  There's no technical reason for the change, but it would be
> > more consistent with our other ports.
>
> Which cvsup port would get it? There are two...

Both.  Or, to make it easier to keep things consistent, have an additional
CVSup port to contain common items and use the MASTERDIR variable to use
them.

> And what about the folks who ftp the binary and never install the ports
> collection?

If they FTP the binary package then they'll get it as part of the install.
If they FTP a binary and copy it by hand in to /usr/local/bin/cvsup (or
whatever) then they get to read section 18.3.3 (currently) of the Handbook.

> They use the /usr/share/examples stuff as a base.  I certainly
> do not install the ports dist at sysinstall time and only do so eventually
> after cvsup'ing the ncvs tree and checking source and ports out of there.

How do you install CVSup?  pkg_add?

> Also, the share/examples stuff is supposed to be preset for getting the
> active branch that the release is from, when using checkout mode.  To
> duplicate that in the port you'd need multiple versions of the files and be
> sensitive on the OS version.

True -- but if you're going to be touching something as sensitive as your
local CVS tree I would have thought that everyone's going to take the time
to look over the config file before they actually use it.  Multiple supfiles
such as supfile.RELENG_3 or supfile.RELENG_4 would be a possibilty.

While I'm talking about it, make.conf's SUPFILE default of looking in
/usr/share/examples/cvsup doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling either.  IMHO
that would make more sense as:

    [...]
    #
    # CVSup update flags.  Copy an example supfile from
    # /usr/local/share/examples/cvsup to /usr/local/etc/supfile (or similar),
    # edit to taste, and uncomment/edit a SUPFILE definition below.  Then
    # "make update" in /usr/src.
    #
    [...]