Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2000 19:34:52 -0400
From:      John <papalia@udel.edu>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, Arcady Genkin <antipode@thpoon.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Too many open files in system

> > > Looking at the sysctl man page, you'll find plenty of options to
> > > tweak. I see a kern.maxfiles option, though I'm not exactly sure what
> > > it does. Sounds like it may be worth looking into.
> > This option is not explained in the manpage, so I looked at
> > sys/sysctl.h file and it seems that this might be the max number of
> > open files on the system.  However, this number is set to 552 right
> > now, whereas `lsof' reports 809 open files.
> > ,----
> > | soup:/usr/include/sys# sysctl kern.maxfiles
> > | kern.maxfiles: 552
> > | soup:/usr/include/sys# lsof | wc -l
> > |      809
> > `----
> > Am I misunderstanding something?  Any further ideas?
>
>I don't have the lsof man page installed, but it may be counting every
>occurence of a shared file descriptor, whereas kern.maxfiles counts
>the actual open file descriptors. Try checking kern.openfiles.

I've been watching this thread hoping that some good info comes to light,
seeing as how I've had/got a similar problem...

I may be *really* far off on this, but within the man page for sysctl,
within `sysctl -a` and also in the source code of sysctl.h there appears to
be no reference to kern.openfiles?  Even more so interesting is that
`sysctl -a | grep file | less` yields about 60+ lines of "<3>file: table is
full".

I don't want to step on the original poster's quest for an answer, but I'm
thinking our problems are quite similar and am interested in learning
what's 'wrong' :)

--John