Date:      Thu, 5 Jun 2014 21:07:08 -0500
From:      Andrew Berg <aberg010@my.hennepintech.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pkg upgrade dependencies and failures

On 2014.06.05 20:50, Andrew Lewman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just a question on how others handle pkg upgrade failures. On FreeBSD
> 10.0-RELEASE-p2, I ran "pkg upgrade" today, and get this:
>
> "pkg: WARNING: locally installed lua-5.1.5_6 conflicts on /usr/local/include/lua51/lauxlib.h with:
>         - lua51-5.1.5_7"
>
> pkg -f upgrade returns the same error. I can either uninstall lua-5.1.5_6
> and all dependent packages to upgrade, or just not upgrade anything.
>
> uninstalling everything dependent on lua seems a sledgehammer approach.
>
> What do others do?
Things like this are covered in /usr/ports/UPDATING (which is admittedly
awkward and not obvious for those using only binary packages). However, AFAIK,
the pkg developers are working on a way to make pkg handle origin changes
without manual intervention (or have already done this for the upcoming version
of pkg).