Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 14:31:21 -0800
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@sigbus.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS mounts in /etc/fstab fail to mount at boot

I've run into this once before and it has me baffled.  When I boot my machine
the nfs mounts in /etc/fstab:

# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
/dev/da0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/da0s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/da0s1e             /tmp            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/acd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0       0
netapp1-e5:/home        /MFX            nfs     rw,bg,soft,-3   0       0
netapp1-e6:/vol/slash/home      /home   nfs     rw,bg,soft,-3   0       0

fail to mount automatically.  The output of mount -d -a -t nfs when run by
/etc/rc is empty.  However if I log into the machine and do the mount -d -a -t
nfs command it shows the correct thing, i.e.:

    exec: mount_nfs -o bg -o soft -3 netapp1-e5:/home /MFX
    exec: mount_nfs -o bg -o soft -3 netapp1-e6:/vol/slash/home /home

At the same time some of the scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d do not run at boot
time (specifially the samba.sh script that is installed by the port).  I can
run it by hand it works properly, but it just doesnt trigger at boot.

Does anyone have any ideas here?  Thanks much!

-Crh

      Charles Henrich       Manex Visual Effects       henrich@sigbus.com

                       http://www.sigbus.com/~henrich