Date:      Mon, 06 Oct 2003 12:06:52 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        jhb@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        perforce@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 39117 for review

In message: <XFMail.20031006111405.jhb@FreeBSD.org>
            John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> writes:
: All the world is not a pccard bridge. :)  The example I am thinking of
: is that maybe I want to turn off my soundcard but still have the logical
: device hang around and allow, e.g., kde to open it and attach to it when
: logging in, and then turn my soundcard back on when I want to play some
: MP3s w/o having to restart KDE for it to open the soundcard.  What we
: would want to do in that case probably is have a way to ask the device
: if it is ok to just suspend/resume it for a power down and have the
: default method be to use detach/attach() unless the device says it is ok
: to use suspend/resume.

I see what you are saying here.  That makes sense.  We can already do
that for devices that actually support suspend/resume, but the glue
going down needs to be written.  One problem is that I'd seen the
'open' as the way to mark something busy and 'close' as not-busy.
with sound cards, however, this isn't the case since playing/not
playing is independent of that.

Warner