Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 11:05:35 -0700
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: GPL alternatives

 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
 *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

	It is not enough that you indemnify the author. You must force your
customers to do so as well.

> > 	I have serious problems with the BSD license. My biggest
> one is that it
> > requires you to foist a disclaimer on your customer.
>
> Does it? All it asks is that you give credit to the original
> author for his
> part of the work, and that you indemnify him for his work.

	No, it is not enough that you indemnify him. Read above.

> > This makes it intolerable for companies like mine who take
> responsibility for
> > their software.
>
> You can still take full responsibility for your own work. You are
> just asked not
> to sue the original author (although nothing can actually stop
> you from suing
> him :).

	You cannot take responsibility. How can you when you are required to force
your customers to indmenify the original author?

	Suppose you write a library under the BSD license, and I decide to use it
in a commercial product. How do I take responsibility when I am required to
force my customers to indemnify someone?

> > 	I wish the BSD license allowed you two options:
> >
> > 	1) You indemnify the author and make no representations
> about the original
> > author, or
> >
> > 	2) You make your customers indemnify the author, and you accurately
> > credit/blame the code on the original author.
> >
> > 	However, the BSD license only permits the second option.
>
> Hmmm... The way I read it, you can do either.

	Read it again.

	DS