Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 2002 17:23:07 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Ron Roskens <roskens@colltech.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Bri <brian@ukip.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: dhcp problems with my ISP

There could be another explanation. I had this problem with a NetBSD
machine running dhclient connecting to ATTBI.

By default dhclient uses a hard-coded value of 16 for the TTL on UDP
packets. ATTBI had upgraded their network, and the DHCP server was further
away such that dhclient would never get a response.

modify src/contrib/isc-dhcp/common/packet.c and increase the value of
ip.ip_ttl to 64 in assemble_udp_ip_header().

Ron