Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 23:55:27 -0500
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        "Brent" <bierblb@netins.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installworld (HELP!!)

On Monday January 22, 2001 23:29, Brent wrote:
> Hey everyone.

Hey back :-)

> I have just upgraded from 4.0-RELEASE to 4.2-RELEASE via make
> installworld, and it it now done, but now I can getting these types
> of errors, why is this?
>
> "bash-2.03$ w
> 10:26PM  up 31 days,  3:14, 3 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.01, 0.06
> USER             TTY      FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
> w: proc size mismatch (51156 total, 1056 chunks): Undefined error: 0"
>
> and
>
> "bash-2.03$ top
> kvm_open: proc size mismatch (54288 total, 1056 chunks)
> top: Out of memory."
>
> I haven't recompiled the kernel yet,

I think you've answered your question.
Rebuild your kernel and the errors should go away.

> because I was told I could wait for that.

Yeah, you can wait, just not very long.  And you can't do much in the
in-between  :)
You can wait in the sense that they (build world and
buildkernel/installkernel) don't have to be done at the exact same
time, but they do both have to be done.
	This is one of the advantages of the BSD development style, that the
kernel is developed with the rest to work tightly together.

> Does anyone have an idea why this is doing this?  If a
> restart is in order - would it be safe (not at the server site)

I would guess you would want to build the kernel first?  I just follow
what it says in the handbook chapter 19.4 to the letter.

					Tim