Date:      Fri, 06 Jun 2014 13:43:48 +0100
From:      Jamie Paul Griffin <jmzgriffin@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrading KDE4 and General pkg upgrade problems

My machine was not in use for a few months and when I booted it up
the other day I naturally wanted to upgrade my packages. This brought
about terrible problems resulting in me having to remove every
package and start over.

I had to remove a few in order to get past some pkg warnings. Then
when the packages did download and install I had a problem with kdm
which is started automatically using the "kdm4_enable" rc.conf variable,
producing an error code and quitting the X server.

Google revealed several posts where this issue has occurred to other
users. I gathered that the X server needs to be rebuilt using the
"WITH_NEW_XORG" make.conf variable and then a number of graphical
software components require rebuilding also, with portmaster finally
taking care of the remaining software upgrades.

I just want to know what is the steps needed to upgrade KDE4 from
version 4.10 to 4.12? Also can I be sure that my video card will work
with the new X server having used the WITH_NEW_XORG make.conf
configuration thing?

As it happens I've reverted back to the packages I had before
attempting the upgrade by setting pkg.conf url to ...release/0 rather
than ...latest as I read somewhere on the internet.

I understand work is underway to get pkg to overcome these version
compatibility issues, has that been completed or is it some way off yet?

Thanks for reading.

Jamie.