Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 18:05:15 +0200
From:      Matthias Teege <matthias@mteege.de>
To:        Terry Todd <tlt@badger.tltodd.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: news2mail programs

On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 08:34:59AM -0500, Terry Todd wrote:
> Mathias,
>

> On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 08:53:48AM +0200, Matthias Teege wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 12:43:13PM -0500, Terry Todd wrote:
> > >

> > > Can anyone recommend a news2mail program?  I have tried Alex Schnitman's
> > > but it doesn't seem to work.  It compiles but when I try to run it it
> > > connects to the news server and then times out without doing anything.
> > > I am looking for something that can run on my FreeBSD 3.2 system and
> > > will connect to a news server on another system to do a news2mail
> > > function.  I don't want all the overhead of running inn or cnews.
> > > I just want to provide a service for people who only have email access
> > > to the internet the ability to receive one or two newsgroups of my
> > > choosing.  Has anyone had any success with Alex's news2mail on FreeBSD?
> >
> > checkout the cyrus mailserver in the ports.
> > Matthias
> >
> > --
> > Matthias Teege -- matthias@mteege.de -- http://emugs.de
> > make world not war
> > PGP-Key auf Anfrage
> >
> I checked out cyrus.  I downloaded it and installed it and then
> looked at the cyrus doc pages on the web.
>
> From: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/cyrus-overview.html#news
> "The IMAP server can export netnews newsgroups as IMAP mailboxes.
> This is done by creating a partition named news which points to
> the news spool directory and arranging for the IMAP server's
> auxiliary databases to be maintained. The server software includes
> programs for integrating with the INN netnews server. The following
> information assumes working knowledge of the INN netnews server."
>
> Which is way way more complicated than what I am looking for.

yes of course but in my opinion this is the "clean" way. Use a
newsserver for the news and a mailserver for the mail. For your service
use the news feature of cyrus. I think it is not so complicated it looks
like. Use it for a while and you will enjoy it. :-) The advantage is on
the long run.

Bis dann
Matthias