Date:      Mon, 7 May 2007 13:49:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gore Jarold <gore_jarold@yahoo.com>
To:        jahnke@sonatabio.com, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Cc:        gore_jarold@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: vmware3 on FreeBSD 6.2 - minor (?) svga problem ... more #2

--- Frank Jahnke <jahnke@sonatabio.com> wrote:

> Longer version: I run VMware3 on FreeBSD 6.2 host
> that has a dual-monitors
> under Xinerama, and it works fine.  One thing you
> have to be aware of is that
> there is a very small set of resolutions that the
> VMware driver understands.
> I would not be surprised if the one you are trying
> does not work.  Remember
> this is an old product, and eight years ago there
> were not 1900x1200 monitors
> in routine use.
>
> I would suggest you first try 1024x768 (or whatever
> the standard is) or
> 1280x1024 and get that to work.  If it does, then
> this is the issue.  Once
> that is sorted out, you can investigate the
> resolutions the driver accepts.

Thank you - it is good to get a confirmation that
vmware3 runs on FreeBSD 6.2 properly.

Now, your point about resolutions is well taken - but
does that matter if I am running in a window only ?  I
have no desire to run vmware full-screen.  Right now I
run it in a 960x600 window.

Do you still think I need to degrade my X screen to
1280x1024 (or something) if I am only running vmware
in a window ?

Thanks.

Looking for earth-friendly autos?
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/