Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2014 22:48:34 +0530 (IST)
From:      Saifi Khan <saifi@sina.cn>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sage-6.1.1 build errors out while building conway_polynomials

On Mon, 3 Mar 2014, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:

> On 03/03/14 11:33, Saifi Khan wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> on attempting to build sage-6.1.1 from the '/usr/ports/math/sage' port,
>> the build errors out while building a subpackage 'conway_polynomials'.
>
> Most people have reported errors in scipy and matplotlib with FreeBSD-10.  I
> think the build of conway-polynomials comes earlier.  So if we had a work
> around for this, you would still be stuck later on with the build of scipy or
> matplotlib.
>
> I am somewhat convinced that the error is due to some kind of incompatibility
> between clang and gcc46 and the linking process.
>
> I have no idea how to fix these problems.  I'm kind of hoping that it will
> get magically fixed one day.

Hi Stephen:

Thanks for your reply.

#export MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=yes
made some of the seemingly random errors go away when i was building 'octave'
from the ports.

Yes, reading a couple of threads on the toolchain list seems to suggest some
kind of incompatibility and linker issue.

Hence my approach is:

1. checkout the latest '/usr/src' tree. (done)
2. make buildworld (wip)
3. make buildkernel
4. make installkernel
5. reboot
6. make installworld
7. reboot
8. cd /usr/ports/math/sage
9. make

Guess i will learn a thing or two :) will keep you posted of how the build goes

thanks
Saifi.