Date:      Fri, 06 Jun 2014 08:30:18 -0700
From:      Jesse Gooch <lists@gooch.io>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables

Hi,

I'll spare you a scolding for trying freebsd-update with a custom kernel
installed! On a production server to boot! We all make mistakes though.

Have you tried rolling back with freebsd-update? I've had similar
problems, and I just rolled back and built world from source. This was a
while ago so my memory is a little hazy though. Read the man page for
freebsd-update for more info on rolling back.