Date:      Sat, 8 Mar 1997 23:39:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@goof.com>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, tom@sdf.com, isp@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd as a news server?

Michael Smith writes:
> matthew c. mead stands accused of saying:
> > >
> > > I really do suggest using  -o noatime,async
> > > on mounted news partitions too (for 2.2)
> >
> > 	This system is a 2.1.6 installation.  Do these
> > recommendations change based on that?  Thanks for the replies!

> No async support in 2.1.6, but I believe that noatime is supported.

	Hmm.  No wonder I don't see any improvement in 2.1.6
mounting async and building the kernel.

> You should _really_ go search the archives of the -hackers list for
> postings from Joe Greco regarding big news servers.  In particular,
> you are using (probably) slow disks, your layout is likely to be
> wrong, and you don't have enough SCSI busses 8)

	Hmm, the disks are far from slow.  They're 9G micropolis
SCSI-II fast, "ultra wide" disks.  There is, however, one bus.
There's only 5 drives on it.  I'm interested in figuring out
what's wrong with the layout.  I've got the striping factor set
to 255 blocks (per a suggestion in the docs for ccd).  I'll try
to have a looksee at the archives of -hackers.  Would be nice to
be able to get mailbox file format archives, though.  :-)  Thanks
for your reply!

-matt

--
Matthew C. Mead