Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 17:48:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
To:        Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, Marc van Woerkom <marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com>
Subject:   Re: netscape plugins

On 10-Aug-00 Heiko Recktenwald wrote:
> Think one of our dear and noble listmembers is playing with something that
> is called xswallow, as far as I know it allows using linux plugins with
> the nativ netscape. Maybe its allready in the ports.
>
> H.

Yes, my port of XSwallow (/usr/ports/www/xswallow) was recently committed to
the ports collection.  Works quite well with the native FreeBSD versions of
Netscape.

Basically, it's a plugin that allows you to use any external multimedia apps
you like for handling various mime types.  The configured apps are "swallowed"
into whatever page you're viewing (pretty cool, in some cases; for example,
with mtv/xanim/etc. the window actually appears within the web page you're
viewing).

Ease of configuration could definitely stand some improvement (you have to
manually edit an xswallow.conf file in your ~/.netscape directory), but it
*does* get the job done.  There are also lots of docs and test pages available
at the program's home site.  See the Makefile and/or README.html file for more
details.

--
Conrad Sabatier
http://members.home.net/conrads/