Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 1996 12:10:03 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        sehari@iastate.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can I use Linux driver of my CD ROM with FreeBSD?

> I have an old CD ROM that is controlled by a card CM 250. There is a
> linux driver for it.  Would such driver work with FreeBSD?

Not without quite a bit of work. There are probably one or two people
here who could do the work, but they're unlikely to have the card to
test it on...

If you're a good C programmer, and you fancy having something
impressive to put on your CV, have a look at the tutorial on writing
device drivers; it's at http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/

> My second question is how to make up arrow and down arrow to work with
> history.  That is when you press uparrow you get the previous command.

There isn't any way to do this in the C shell, which is what the
installation gives you. If you install the bash or pdksh packages, and
do 'chsh -s' to change your login shell, this should work
automatically (I presume it'll also work for tcsh, but I've never used
that).

> Finally, how can I make ^D to logout in non root directory.  Note that
> ^D log me out from the root directory but not from user account.

Find the line in ~/.cshrc relating to setignoreeof and comment it out
like so:-

#        set ignoreeof

This is a csh/tcsh peculiarity - if you switch to bash or ksh, ^D will
automatically log you out.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk