Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 1996 22:13:56 -0400
From:      "Jacob M. Parnas" <jparnas@jparnas.cybercom.net>
To:        Bob Loftus <bobster@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, bsdi-users@bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: Adaptec2940UW vs. BusLogicBT-958 (opinions?)

In message <Pine.BSD.3.91.960612093106.6005A-100000@usr2.primenet.com>you write:
>On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, Jacob M. Parnas wrote:
>> Would you please elaborate a bit on the logic?  I don't see why with up to
>> 15 devices, you couldn't fill up 40MB/sec for a fast/wide/ultra SCSI III bus?
>> Especially with some raids counting as one large SCSI device?
>I did.  http://www.nexial.nl/cgi-bin/bsdi  search for "fast wide scsi
>paul vixie"  That should do it. One would have to question the wisdom of
>putting that many devices in a chain on one bus. But hey maybe you could
>teach me something, I'm sure no expert. Yet. ;->
>Regards,
>Bob...

Well, lets look at what I'm using now.  I have a SCSI-I bus on my Sun
Sparcstation 2.  I'm using all 7 slots (2 207 MB 3 1/2" drives that came
with the system, an exabyte tape drive, a 1xCDROM, a Tanberg 1/4" 150 MB tape
drive, 2 elite 1.6 gigabyte 5 1/4" drives.).  I'm also out of space.  If
I wanted to add a faster 2nd CDrom, I'd have to take something out.  If I
wanted to add more disk space, I'd be out of slots.  If I wanted to add a
scanner or DVD drive, I'd be stuck, etc.  Plus, its faster.  The bus is not
so expensive at about $230.

Jacob