Date:      Sun, 10 Feb 2002 11:12:17 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Shawn Halloran <SPHalloran2@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Drivers ??

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.5R/hardware.html

> a) I have an Intellipoint Optical USB mouse - PS/2 compatible. I can not
> get the mouse daemon or X to initialize the mouse. FreeBSD recocnizes
> the USB mouse during installation, but I can not configure it.

If you look through dmesg output, what device is the mouse using? (i.e.
ps2 mice generally use /dev/psm0)
Make sure that you configured the proper device when setting up your mouse
in X.

> b) I have a 3dfx VooDoo5 5500 PCI graphics card - the only driver listed
> is a VooDoo3 (generic).

That may be the best you can do.  Vid cards are supported by XFree, so you'll
find more informatin about what is supported at the xfree.org site:
http://www.xfree.org/cardlist.html

> 2) How do I tell the OS where to look for the drivers once their
> located, and how do I update the drivers?

"drivers" are integrated into the base system.  To update drivers,
update FreeBSD.  Use cvsup as described here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/synching.html

If you need a "driver" that isn't installed by default, you'll need to
rebuild your kernel as described here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html

> These are probably very stupid questions, but the greatest amount of
> success I've experience to date is the /ls/ command (definately a newbie).

No, they're just newbie questions.  They show that you don't have as much
experience in a UNIX-like environment as you do in a MSish environment and
that you're working it out a little at a time.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology