Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 05:40:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/27495: CVS tree broken

The following reply was made to PR misc/27495; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To: "Sergey N. Voronkov" <serg@tmn.ru>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 15:30:21 +0300

 On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 04:10:06AM -0700, Sergey N. Voronkov wrote:
 > The following reply was made to PR misc/27495; it has been noted by GNATS.
 >
 > From: "Sergey N. Voronkov" <serg@tmn.ru>
 > To: Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
 > Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
 > Subject: Re: misc/27495: CVS tree broken
 > Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 17:02:39 +0600
 >
 >  On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 01:43:26PM +0300, Peter Pentchev wrote:
 >  > On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 04:24:41PM +0600, serg@tmn.ru wrote:
 >  > >
 >  > > >Number:         27495
 >  > > >Category:       misc
 >  > > >Synopsis:       ports tree broken while made cvsup upgrade
 >  > > >Responsible:    freebsd-bugs
 >  > > >Originator:     Sergey N. Voronkov
 >  > > >Release:        FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE i386
 >  > > >Organization:
 >  > > Sibitex
 >  > > >Environment:
 >  > > System: FreeBSD sv.tech.sibitex.tmn.ru 4.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #14: Mon Apr 23 13:05:46 YEKST 2001 serg@sv.tech.sibitex.tmn.ru:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SV i386
 >  > >
 >  > > >How-To-Repeat:
 >  > >
 >  > > #cvsup -g -L 2 -p m cvsup.<country code>.freebsd.org
 >  > > [...]
 >  > > Server software version: REL_16_1
 >  > > Negotiating file attribute support
 >  > > Exchanging collection information
 >  > > Establishing multiplexed-mode data connection
 >  > > Running
 >  > > Updating collection ports-all/cvs
 >  > >  Delete ports/www/jakarta-tomcat/files
 >  > > Updater failed: Cannot delete "/usr/ports/www/jakarta-tomcat/files":
 >  > > Directory not empty
 >  > >
 >  > > >Fix:
 >  > >
 >  > > Directly CVS tree update need... Please help...
 >  >
 >  > What files do you have in /usr/ports/www/jakarta-tomcat/files/ ?
 >  >

 >  Here are ports/www/jakarta-tomcat/files brokenes related commits:

 [snip excellent analysis]

 >  So $(cvsup_basedir)/cvs/ports-all/checkouts.cvs:. contains information about
 >  deleted ports/www/jakarta-tomcat/files, but directory MUST exist and
 >  containts useful files! This situation can be fixed onto every cvsuping
 >  machine by removing checkouts and running cvsup again.
 >
 >  I don't know how to fix this... May be we should post HEADS UP to ports and
 >  stable lists?

 Problem reproduced here, the above analysis, involving a file named 'files'
 and a subsequent 'files' directory creation seems correct.

 Well, I guess a HEADS UP would be the best way to go.  The workaround
 is to remove the jakarta-tomcat/files/ directory before the cvsup,
 maybe touch a jakarta-tomcat/files file, and re-do the cvsup.

 [2 minutes later]

 Eep.  This workaround failed - files/patch-aa is created before files is
 removed :(  OK, I'll try removing the checkouts file and see if this helps.

 G'luck,
 Peter

 --
 I am jealous of the first word in this sentence.