Date:      Sun, 6 Jul 2008 10:42:14 -0400
From:      Christopher Sean Hilton <chris@vindaloo.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        John Almberg <jalmberg@identry.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why would it make such a difference to move mysqld to another machine?

On Jul 6, 2008, at 4:58 AM, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> John Almberg wrote:

[snip]

> In the second case, it's really just about competition for
> resources. I
> suspect that you could have achieved a pretty good speed-up simply by
> adding another hard drive to your server and moving all of the
> database
> onto it, separate from the web root and any other areas which apache
> would be doing a lot of read/write operations on.

When I go back and look at the original top output for the single
machine I note that it's out of RAM. It looks to me like apache and
mysqld were contending over memory.

-- Chris

--
Chris Hilton                                   chris-at-vindaloo-dot-com
                "All I was doing was trying to get home from work!"