Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 10:42:05 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@sos.freebsd.dk>
To:        cgull@smoke.marlboro.vt.us (john hood)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: code talks:  announcing EIDE bus master patches

> Søren Schmidt writes:
>  > Well, I have two 4G EIDE Maxtors on my P6 :), when I get the bus master
>  > DMA going, it'll be a tough bunch to beat...
>
> It's going to go a little quicker :)
>
> I've been coding up bus-mastering support for EIDE drives, and I'm at
> a point where I can release it to the world.  I've got a patch against
> 2.2.2 available and various notes for the enjoyment of the curious
> kernel hacker.  The wd driver is enough of a living fossil that the
> patches should apply easily to any kernel since then, though.
>
> The code is designed to support the SFF-8038 standard for busmaster
> controllers.  It's generic enough to run on anything that nominally
> conforms to this (which includes every current PCI chipset I've seen);
> here's to hoping chipset quirks don't wreck this sublime quest.
>
> It's all very alpha yet, and it has been tested on exactly one system.
> but if the surreal thrill of watching a system transfer 6MB/s off an
> IDE disk with almost no cpu load mingled with the slight fear that
> it's trashing your disk at 6MB/s appeals to you, go to:

Well, doing a little surgery to it and sticking it into current,
(the PCI subsystem has changed a little from 2.2.x to current)
I'd say it works pretty well here too (440FX chipset Maxtor drives).
I'l beat on it for a while, then commit the changes to -current.
I think we should leave 2.2-STABLE out for the moment :)

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..