Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 23:47:29 +0100
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Kurtis Smith <ksscendyn@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 5 usable ip's two FreeBSD boxes..

Kurtis Smith wrote:

> Ok here is my delima... I have working now webserver, ftp, mailserver,
> and DNS setup on one box.  Now this box is a Dual Homed Host with 2
> nics in it also providing DHCP for the LAN.  I have NAT Running on xl0
> which is connected to my ADSL with Pacbell.  This provides me with 5
> usable ip's however I am only using one of them on xl0 interface.  xl1
> is providing DHCP services as well has a Ip of 192.168.1.3.  Now my
> second BSD box I would like to have as a backup DNS as well as backup
> for the rest of the services.  Its ip is on the LAN 192.168.1.2.  My
> question is how to make it so it too can be seen as one of my Usable
> IP's so I can use this box for say maybe other domains and mail
> services.  Like a super Mini ISP for friends family whatever.   Main
> concern is Slave DNS for it.
>
> Can someone give me some insight.. I am Running Apache, Cucipop, ISC
> DHCP  3, Bind 8 etc

Install a second NIC in the new box. give one of your five official IPs
to it. Should be nice enough as fallback if your first box goes down.
You may host some other services there, too. Spreads the load between
both boxes.

Setup DNS on the second box as caching server only, feeding off both
your primary box and your upstream provider. This way, DNS for in-house
services will be available when your primary goes down. If you prefer to
slave it's bind to your primary name server, just add the necessary
lines to your named.boot.

HTH
-Christoph Sold