From:      Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   help understanding Alias/Generics/Virtual user table

In the process of trying to map a username into something else as the
email comes and goes from sendmail, I have locked up sendmail.  Right
now when I try to send mail through pine, pine freezes at the send.
This is what I have done:

Ok, I have the following lines in my sendmail.cf:

 # Generics table (mapping outgoing addresses)
 Kgenerics hash -o /etc/mail/genericstable

 # Virtual user table (maps incoming users)
 Kvirtuser hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable

 and I created one source file for Generics table that will convert
email from sam to scarleton, it looks like this:

 sam scarleton@domain.com

and then a source file for Virtual user table as to map
scarleton@domain.com back to sam:

 scarleton@domain.com sam

I have also modified the alias file.  Then I used makemap in this
fashion to create /etc/mail/genericstable.db,
/etc/mail/virtusertable.db, and /etc/alias.db

 makemap hash genericstable  < gsourcefile
 makemap hash virtusertable  < vsourcefile
 makemap hash alias  < alias

I first had done only the genericstable and virtusertable.  The outgoing
email name was NOT being traslated for me:(  After changing alias and
running makemap on it, that is when pine started freezing when trying to
send mail.  Should I be using makemap to create the files or is there
another program I should be using for the default config on FreeBSD
4.0-STABLE?

Sam