Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 23:54:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Daniel McKee <danielmc@pacbell.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dialup PPP problems with FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, Daniel McKee wrote:

> Hello.  For some reason, I can't seem to get the settings right for BSD to
> link-up with my ISP (Pacbell Internet).  Here's my config;
> my IP: dynamicly addressed to me
> gateway: also dynamicly addressed to me? (Windows 95 reports to me that my
> gateway ip is the same as mine) (but with UNIX it reports a 206.171.138.2
> to me? )
> my dns ip (the only one that stays the same) 206.13.31.12
> my hostname usually looks something like
> (danielmc-dialupPPP-?.?.?.?.pacbell.net) or something like that

OK.

> ok, can you help me with what settings to set in what file, and what I am
> doing wrong? I can get packets going back and forth between me and my
> server, but the DNS does NOT resolve any names, but I can ping anything by
> IP....  and after about 3 mins, routed, gives me this funky error and
> shutsdown my IP and closes the connection.....

I see.

1.  Disable routed in /etc/rc.conf.  You don't want it for your setup.
2.  In your ISP's PPP profile, put 'set timeout 0' to disable the timeout.
3.  After you successfully connect, you need to enter the command
    'add 0 0 HISADDR' to add the appropriate default route.
4.  Set your DNS server in /etc/resolv.conf.  It should look something
like this...

domain  uoregon.edu
nameserver 128.223.170.28
nameserver 128.223.32.35

Obviously set as appropriate.

That should get you going.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo