Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 17:14:42 +0000
From:      Adam Ford <adam@attack.fordys.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mounting an MS-DOS partition? - Tricky!

Hi there,

I'm not subscribed to this list anymore, so would appreciate a CC to me of
any responses.

I've installed FreeBSD on one patition on my laptop (just one internal drive)
I fdisk'ed it from within freebsd, and created a 500MB DOS partition there
(enough for windows 95) - which all works jolly well and good, the boot loader
asks me which I want, and both boot hunky-dory with no problems!

The problem comes when I try and mount the MSDOS partition from unix, I get
a silly error message, to which I could find none in the archives of these
lists at http://www.uk.freebsd.org/search

The problem I get is documented below:

root@attack>mount -t msdos /dev/wd0s2 /windows
msdos: vfsload (msdos): No such file or directory

Yes the windows directory does exist...

There was a similar problem in the archive regarding ex2fs, which said support
wasn't installed in the kernel, but I do have support for MSDOSFS...

Any help would be muchly appreciated... I'm running FreeBSD3.3-RELEASE - just
installed yesterday, and spent all night scratching my head over this!

Hopefully someone could give me a hand! - I'd be vewwy grateful! :)

Thanks for listening,