Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 13:11:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        chad.morland@inquent.com (Chad Morland)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DLT Backup Questions

> I am looking to create a multi-tape backup of close to 260G of data
> using a DLT-7000 with compression turned on. Does anyone have any
> recommendations for what to use to accomplish this? Amanda does not
> support multi-tape archives so that is out of the question. I have tried
> to use gnu tar but for some reason that was only placing 35G onto each
> tape (I am trying to use compression.)

If you realy mean you want a backup (not a copy to move to some
other system or whatever) to cover yourself in case of a system or disk
failure, then use dump.   It can handle multiple tapes.

Here is a good reason for creating a special filesystem.  It would
enable you to make a dump that is only that data.  Since dump works
on a filesystem level and not individual file level.

Good luck,

////jerry