Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 1996 23:08:26 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@tombstone.sunrem.com>
To:        freebsd@freebsd.org

Arrg, I appologize if this is the incorrect list in followup to the
thread which seemed dead; I have forgotten which list the newgroup
'split' thread was one.

I just wanted to mention that the major proponent for splitting a group
is volume.  Right now the FreeBSD group really does not have the volume
which will lend significance to a split proposal.  However, the mailing
lists do :)  What I'd like to see is a majority of the lists being
dropped to news, with perhaps a mail->news link.  Not only would this
give volume and meaning to having a split throughout the FreeBSD usenet
heirarchy, but it would also mean that those not wishing to have the
sheer volume of mail in their mailboxes, but who also do not want to miss
something, would be able to just subscribe to the newsgroup, which one is
usually able to handle/manage in a more leisurely fasion.

Just a thought.  I have seen setups before where the group is accessible
through a mailing list, and it has worked out quite well...

-Brandon Gillespie-