Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 10:12:15 +0200
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SKey and locked account

Mike Smith writes:
> > I'm currently experimenting with 2.2.6, FWTK and skey.
> >
> > 1) First thing I noticed is that it's possible for someone to log
> >    into the system, even if the account is disabled ('*' in the
> >    passwd field), when S/Key is enabled for that user.
> >
> >    Surprise to me.
>
> "*" does not disable an account - it is an invalid crypted string which
> will fail to match any crypted plaintext password, as used by login,
> the r* commands and ftp (when FTP is not using s/key).

	Ok -- just referrring to the man page:

	The password field is the encrypted form of the password.  If the
	password field is empty, no password will be required to gain access to
	the machine.  This is almost invariably a mistake.  Because these files
	contain the encrypted user passwords, they should not be readable by any-
	one without appropriate privileges.  Administrative accounts have a pass-
	word field containing an asterisk `*' which disallows normal logins.

	... it doesn't mention the fact that they _also_ have an invalid
	shell.

--
 -[ Philippe Regnauld / sysadmin / regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk / +55.4N +11.3E ]-
     «Pluto placed his bad dog at the entrance of Hades to keep the dead