Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 1996 13:28:24 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        tcg@ime.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports suggestion

> Something I find very very annoying as a Newbie.
> pkg_add a package, It drops ya right back to the prompt without
> a clue on what to do next!

Yep, this is "the Unix way" - you only get a message if the user needs
to be informed about something unusual (a program working correctly is
not regarded as unusual under Unix :-)

> How about requiring a small message displayed with at least
> "see man xxxxx for further details" or "See pkg_info <package>"

"man xxxxx" is a standard Unix-ism for finding out how to use
something; Unix programs generally assume that the user knows how to
use Unix :-)

If the package has some information in a different place, then I would
certainly agree that there should be a message to that effect, eg

"Sample configuration files for the gronkleblaster are in the
/usr/local/share/gronkleblaster directory. These need to be customised
for your site before attempting to run the gronkleblaster."

The "See pkg_info" information should really go in the Handbook entry
on packages (has anyone got round to writing one yet?) as it's the
same for all packages.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk