Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2006 18:32:40 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>, Vince <jhary@unsane.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Intel PRO 3945ABG Wireless

--nextPart4012606.GqzedmBi8z

On Wednesday 11 October 2006 17:32, Yuri Lukin wrote:
> Doug Barton wrote ..
>
> > On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> > > Why isn't anyone working on updating it?
> >
> > This is a volunteer project. No one has volunteered.
> >
> > Doug
>
> I think there are some that would like to contribute but don't
> know where to begin. I, for one, enjoy wireless networking
> and would like to contribute to the project but I dont
> know the OS internals and don't have any real programming
> experience. Perhaps some basic guidance could set people
> like myself on the right path? I'm not asking for hand-holding,
> just something to start with.

There are three things that need to be done here:
1) Adapt the bus interface.  This is not too much work and should boil=20
down to a couple of sed(1)s and a few manual edits.  Check drivers that=20
are in OpenBSD and FreeBSD and compare, or just check existing drivers. =20
The DRIVER(9) manual page and jmg@'s paper[1,2] should provide additional=20
insight.
2) Use firmware(9) to load the ucode - as far as I understand the device=20
needs firmware as well.  This shouldn't be much work and can be taken=20
verbatim from iwi(4).
3) Adapt the net80211 interface.  This one's a bit tricky since OpenBSD=20
went a different way with their 80211 implementation.  Again, looking at=20
existing drivers (esp. ath(4) as the reference implementation and iwi(4)=20
as a driver from OpenBSD that was also retrofitted into FreeBSD) should=20
give an idea what is done how.

In the end, you won't know what problems you come across until you start=20
with it.  I can help with questions regarding 2 & 3, but will be busy for=20
the next two months and don't have a 3945 to test with, either.

[1] http://www.bsdcan.org/2006/papers/freebsd.driver.pdf
[2] http://www.bsdcan.org/2006/papers/freebsd.device.driver.slides.pdf

=2D-=20