Date:      Sun, 4 Feb 2001 11:25:53 -0500
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        "JAKE RIVERA" <jakerivera@ameritech.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <jakerivera@ameritech.net>
Subject:   Re: Problem with Laptop Modem

On Sunday February 04, 2001 07:13, JAKE RIVERA wrote:

> > I have a Dell Inspiron 3800 laptop and everything works perfectly
> except my modem(Actiontec 56 Modem software).  I'm not sure whether
> is a winModem or not.

The only laptops that I have ever heard of that don't have winmodems
are Apple Powerbooks.  They don't work with FreeBSD.

> so If my modem is a winModem what can I do to get it to work....

In FreeBSD nothing, except reverse engineer the Winmodem driver and
port it yourself.  Or pay someone to do it.

> Or if there's no possible way that winModems would
> work in FreeBSD what kind of modem should I buy,

Any non Winmodem that you can connect will work.  If you have a
parallel port, you can connect an external parallel port modem, or if
you have a pcmcia slot, you can connect one of those.  I've heard you
can get some of those on ebay for <$20 if you're lucky.
	Do a google search for Winmodem and you will find a site that is very
specific and lists what modems are and aren't winmodems.  I think
www.linmodems.org has some of that.  You could also port some of their
work over to FreeBSD.  Once you find a list of some non winmodems,
you'll have to search a bit to find one to buy.  I believe any modem
that will work with Macintosh computers are not Winmodems and will work
with FreeBSD.

> and Do I have to
> take out the internel winModem in order to get the New modem to work
> properly. Or I could just leave the winModem alone and install it in
> one of the PCI.

No, you do not need to take it out.  Just leave it there and connect
whatever else to the laptop.
Hope that helped.  Happy Hunting,

						Tim