Date:      Sun, 25 Mar 2001 12:40:49 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Benjamin Close <linux@senet.com.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading a port

Benjamin Close <linux@senet.com.au> types:
> Hi All,
> 	How do I upgrade a port and make it upgrade all dependancies.
> Ie. I currently use cvsup to keep my ports collection up to date. When a
> port is updated I use pkg_delete portname to remove the package. If it
> complains of depenancies I delete them as well. Then I run make install to
> upgrade the port I initally wanted to update. Finally I run make install
> on all the ports I had to remove because of dependancies.
>
> Is there an easier way? I've found pkg_remove aids in removal but is there
> something where I can say type: make sometarget   which will uninstall all
> broken depenancies, upgrade the current package then reinstall the other?

No, there's not an easier way. You can generally - but not always -
ignore the dependencies. That tend to leave the dependency information
out of whack. Deleting and reinstalling the dependencies afterwards
will keep that up to date, and avoid any potential problems from
having installed the new version of the updated ports.

I'd make one suggestion, though. Build the port *before* you delete
it, so you know it'll get through the build stage before you wipe out
the old stuff. It doesn't happen very often, but it's a pain to avoid
that. Doing the same for the dependencies wouldn't hurt.

Hmm - maybe pkg-version -c need a hook to deal with dependencies?

	<mike