Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 21:49:57 +0200
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        heller@cdnow.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, seggers@semyam.dinoco.de
Subject:   Re: Support for V.90 PCI modems?

>  Do I dare ask how external V.90 modems work then?

They are just normal modems.  I know as I have one.  ;-)
Gives me about 2/3 of the German ISDN speed of 64000 bps
- it reaches 44000 bps - which makes the WWW real fun and
CVSUp more enjoyable and cheaper.

The one in question is a PCI card from what I read and for
such cards one can make the hardware cheaper by putting
part of the processing into a special driver which makes
it appear like a normal COM port modem to the system and
is just noticeable by reducing the available main CPU
power a bit when in use.

W/o such a driver (under FreeBSD for example) one can't
use it then.  As far as I understand the problem with this
is that one can't write a driver w/o documentation (I guess
no one will doubt this :->) and it seems for such devices
the only documentation for the hardware is the binary
version of the Windows driver.  One would first have to
reverse engineer the Windows driver.  :-(

Of course one might envision a hybrid version where one
does this trick over a serial port but I hope no manufac-
turer makes such an insane device as then the serial port
has to be faster I think and then it might fail with not
so good cabling which just works with normal modems for
example but can't stand higher speed.

Stefan.
--
Stefan Eggers                 Lu4 yao2 zhi1 ma3 li4,
Max-Slevogt-Str. 1            ri4 jiu3 jian4 ren2 xin1.