Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 19:47:31 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Anand Buddhdev <arb@anand.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help: ccd and mirroring

On Wednesday, 25 November 1998 at 11:54:24 +0300, Anand Buddhdev wrote:
> I've tried desperately to understand CCD for disk mirroring, but now i'm
> stuck:
>
> The system is FreeBSD-2.2.5 release, with 2 identical 4 GB IDE disks on
> disk controller wdc0. I installed the OS on the first disk wd0. The
> partitions are:
>
> 50 MB /
> 64 MB swap
> 3998 MB /usr
>
> I initially tried to use vinum, but it fails to compile with the error:
>
> "Don't know how to make statetexts.h". I really need to get this working,
> so I've put vinum aside for now.

You forgot to read the instructions:

  > If you download this software, please use it and inform me of any
  > problems you have.

I don't know which version of vinum you got, but current ones don't
have that problem.  You should take the latest version, and tell me if
you still have problems.

> I have:
>
> 1. Recompiled a kernel with CCD support
> 	pseudo-device ccd 4
>
> 2. cd /dev; ./MAKEDEV ccd0
>
> 3. Formatted the second disk wd1, and dedicated the entire disk for
> FreeBSD. I created partitions on it identical to wd0.
>
> 4. Now I want to enable the mirroring, but this is where I'm stuck. what I
> have tried to do in single-user mode is:
>
> 1. Create a /etc/ccd.conf file
>
> ccd0	16	CCDF_MIRROR,CCDF_UNIFORM	/dev/wd0 /dev/wd1

What's your system disk?  If you do this, you'll overwrite *all* of
your first two IDE drives.  You should use a partition instead.

> 2. Tried to run ccdconfig -C. This runs, and does not give and errors. So
> then I try to mount the ccd0
>
> mount /dev/ccd0 /mnt
>
> This fails with an error message: "Bad superblock".

Use /dev/ccd0c.  Undocumented wrinkle.

> I don't understand now what is happening here. I would really
> appreciate some help on this, since I need to get this system going
> ASAP. It is running on its single disk for now, but the mirroring is
> essential.

Be *very careful*.  ccd will let you shoot yourself in the foot really
badly.  You're quite lucky it didn't work.

I'd still suggest you try vinum instead.

Greg