Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 1996 21:47:12 -0600
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net (David Kelly)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding a damn 2nd disk

I've been following this thread for a while and with April Ist rapidly
approaching I think there is something we can do about everybody typing the
wrong commands or not knowing the right commands or sequences to get
something done. In all likelyhood somebody else has already written the
utilities I'm proposing.

We need 2 new utilities, "dwim" and "dwit", Do What I Meant and Do What I'm
Thinking. Dwim will be a great tool for those using classical shells and
dwit will become the prefered standard shell for most users. Until somebody
writes the /dev/mindreader device dwim and dwit will have to simply reply,
"/dev/mindreader is nonexistant or not configured". For those of two minds
/dev/mindreader needs access to both minds along similar techniques used
elsewhere to differentiate between hard disk slices. /dev/mindreader will
be a link to your prefered mind.

I predict dwim and dwit will usher in a new era in user interfaces. And
FreeBSD will be leading this era.

Anyone care to write /dev/mindreader and solve (or cause) all the world's ills?

Would you guess from the above my 2nd favorite web site is www.improb.com?

--
David Kelly N4HHE,   n4hhe@amsat.org,    dkelly@hiwaay.net
                - Thomas Edison