Date:      Fri, 24 May 1996 15:35:13 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (Dennis)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The view from here (was Re: ISDN Compression Load on CPU)

> These are the words of your "leader"?

Being realistic about one's own strengths and weaknesses has never
been a sin in any of the military manuals I've ever read (to continue
your metaphor).  Overestimating your abilities, on the other hand,
generally presages disaster.

> Most of this is your own fault, for buying cheap unknown cards,

Be nice, Dennis - I was speaking "in the large" here.  I don't, for
the record, buy cheap unknown cards.  I don't buy preconfigured
systems, either.  I buy systems assembled from a very carefully
selected component list because I've been burned too many times by
crappy (which is to say most) PC hardware.  However, we in the FreeBSD
project aren't in the hardware business, we're software vendors and we
don't get a whole lot of say over what "our hardware" is going to look
like.  The best we can do is shoot for a high "approval rating", e.g.
we dump the latest version on the net and a hoard of PC users shuffles
over and sniffs it for awhile, finally holding up little index cards
with numbers printed on them.  We shoot for a 9.0, sometimes we get a
6.5 :-) In any case, that's the process and we really don't get to
bitch and whine too much about what the _average_ PC hardware looks
like if we want to get a high score, we just have to make it as robust
as we can.

That's why a lot of this talk about what one _can_ do with a PC is
largely pointless.  One can do a lot of things if one controls all the
variables, but in our "market" that's about as far from being the case
as one can get.  You only need to satisfy one basic type of PC user in
your market, Dennis, and that's a nice luxury to have.  I speak from
the perspective of someone who sees people trying to do _all sorts_ of
things with PCs right now, and some of those things are simply not
(IMO) appropriate.

					Jordan