Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:21:49 -0600 (CST)
From:      Scott Pilz <tech@squid.tznet.com>
To:        Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Error - Shells

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Greg Black wrote:

> Scott Pilz wrote:

> > > You need to put the full pathname of the replacement shell in
> > > /etc/shells -- if it's a bash script called /tmp/foo, then you
> > > put /tmp/foo in /etc/shells, not /usr/local/bin/bash (unless you
> > > also want people to use bash as their shell).
> >
> > Hrrm.. But like I said, I have both:
> > /usr/local/bin/bash
> > /usr/local/bin/shell
>
> Is "/usr/local/bin/shell" the name you have in the shell field
> in the master.passwd file and in /etc/shells?  It's hard to
> believe that you would get the warning unless you've made a typo
> somewhere.

<nods> Checked, and re-checked just now.

master.passwd was changed by using chpass root . . .
That shell was changed to /usr/local/bin/shell

In /etc/shells, it lists both /usr/local/bin/bash and /usr/local/bin/shell

This is, really confusing, that is for sure.

I assumed right away that it was because of the above problem (with
/etc/shells) however apparently it is not.

At any rate, I wanted to say that I did bypass this, I found another way
to do what I needed to do sometime this morning, so it's been taken care
of.

Thanks again.

-Scott